Map Icons Collection is under maintenance until further notice. You can expect server errors, or missing icons.
I apogogize for this inconvenience, the site is causing server performance issues to my host. I need time to investiguate how to fix that.
As I investiguated the cause of the server issues, I found out my anti-hotlinking policy wasn’t working as expected. It seems many people hotlinked, causing huge server load.
Hotlinking is not allowed, please download the icons on your own server or Dropbox
Now anti-hotlinking seems to be efficient, I may enable icon generation again if it was the only problem.
Now that the server load came back to normal, after cutting all hotlinking, I will enable icon generation again, and test again the server load.
I may cut it again if needed.
I disabled the download all the icons at once feature, from the page http://mapicons.nicolasmollet.com/category/markers/. Creating 800 icons at once is too much for my server. I may enable it in the future.
I also installed a better cache system with “Quick Cache”. It may introduce some bugs, let me know if you find some.
There are still some servers issues, I am disabling zip download feature, as a test to see if it’s the only function that causes CPU load.
Zip download is still disabled but I created a static zip file so that you can still download all the icons at once, without customization:
The maintenance has now ended.
The site has some features that are disabled or changed:
- Customize the icons all at once. But you can still download the default icons all at once on the Markers page.
- Numbers & Letters:
- Special Chars: this is a new page including only the special characters (for example @ # %)
- Letters: now disabled, may come back in the near future
- Numbers: now disabled. This page uses a lot of CPU, if it comes back it will only have a restricted numbers, up to 50. I am afraid I won’t be able to give access to icons up to 100 or 300.
- New Cache System: there is now a powerful cache on the site. In some cases, the side effect is that icons will be missing when you customize them. I am sorry for that, the cache is the only way for my site to survive on my host.
Now it’s back to normal, my host didn’t kick me out, it’s only because I optimized or stripped almost all the features of the site.
Thanks for your attention.